Monday, May 30, 2016

My New Horse ?

About a month ago my mother sold a gelding she had & then bought a grade paint mare. This mare was a bit sick & needed some tlc, so mom brought her home thinking that even if she couldn't be rode again she may be able to produce some nice foals. She had something like bronchitis for horses. She is feeling much better now & beenhad a test ride a couple weeks ago & did well. So yesterday we were back out to ride & grabbed her up.  From the first ride i felt she needed a bit change.  We used a straight snaffle that's a little heavier than the normal.  Her previous owners said they used a snaffle.  She acted very uncomfortable with the bit, which may have been the slightly extra weight; but was also fairly unresponsive to it.  So this time out i tried a lightweight Tom thumb bit.  I didn't get a picture of it,  but it's a little stronger bit than a snaffle but this was a different material than the other bit so was a little lighter in weight.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE! She was comfortable with it & completely responsive to my signals. I rode a bit in the saddle & then took her bareback.

I love to ride bareback! Just to ride around or trail ride, this is my choice! I grew up riding bareback for a couple of reasons. First, my mother always felt safer this way for if I fell off I wouldn't get caught in stirrups. True fact, i fell off . . . A lot.  LOL. Second, this made me a better rider, developing better balance & a feel for what my horse was telling me. Third, i didn't need help putting a saddle on.  Once I learned to properly bridle the horse,  i climbed on & went.

So here are a few pictures that i bribed my family to take for me.  Meet Star!

 I have no idea why she was named Star.  As you can see, she has no "star" markings. LOL. So I've decided it's SuperStar! Also not sure why she's parked out when she's standing in these pictures.  Maybe she thinks she's a Saddlebred? LOL.


 And once again, Fluffy Girl had to try the horse I was riding. LOL this has happened a few times.  I'm glad she's getting confident, but may have to hold tight to this horse.  LOL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment